Friday, June 29, 2007
Huge Huge Huge Happy Dance!
The last part of the Heirloom Embroideries Huswife Mystery arrived on Monday and as soon as I saw it I got an awful feeling of dread.
Sewing machines and I really do not get on. I used to be good at sewing when I was at school, but since then it went downhill quickly and now I always seem to end in a right mess when I use it. On Tuesday I got the machine out to have a practice and I couldn't even get a decent line stitched, the tension was all wrong and I ended up in tears I was so frustrated. I left everything where it was and shut the dining room door to stop myself throwing the machine and the huswife in the bin straight away lol. Then my stubborn side started talking and gave me a good slap and told me I couldn't be beaten, if I couldn't use the machine I'd have to sew it by hand.
So Wednesday I stitched the inside satin pockets and backstitched the inside and outside together, then last night DH helped me make the cord and I started adding that, and tonight I finished the cord and added the felt to the inside and voila!
It's not perfect by any means, the seams, corners and folds etc could be better. The fabric and satin are also far too flimsy for my liking and I don't think are ideal for something that's supposed to be used rather than just displayed. But I'm so proud of myself to making it on my own, start to finish! I think this will be displayed with my other stitching accessories, but I think eventually I will make another huswife using thicker fabric for the outside and normal cotton fabric for the inside so I can use it regularly.
So I've reached my June goal of finishing it, and am one very happy bunny!!!!!