Friday, June 29, 2007

Huge Huge Huge Happy Dance!




The last part of the Heirloom Embroideries Huswife Mystery arrived on Monday and as soon as I saw it I got an awful feeling of dread.
Sewing machines and I really do not get on. I used to be good at sewing when I was at school, but since then it went downhill quickly and now I always seem to end in a right mess when I use it. On Tuesday I got the machine out to have a practice and I couldn't even get a decent line stitched, the tension was all wrong and I ended up in tears I was so frustrated. I left everything where it was and shut the dining room door to stop myself throwing the machine and the huswife in the bin straight away lol. Then my stubborn side started talking and gave me a good slap and told me I couldn't be beaten, if I couldn't use the machine I'd have to sew it by hand.
So Wednesday I stitched the inside satin pockets and backstitched the inside and outside together, then last night DH helped me make the cord and I started adding that, and tonight I finished the cord and added the felt to the inside and voila!
It's not perfect by any means, the seams, corners and folds etc could be better. The fabric and satin are also far too flimsy for my liking and I don't think are ideal for something that's supposed to be used rather than just displayed. But I'm so proud of myself to making it on my own, start to finish! I think this will be displayed with my other stitching accessories, but I think eventually I will make another huswife using thicker fabric for the outside and normal cotton fabric for the inside so I can use it regularly.
So I've reached my June goal of finishing it, and am one very happy bunny!!!!!

10 comments:

Julie said...

Well done Lisa on your finish and completing it in your June goals, i've not even started on mine yet LOL

Stitcher said...

Lisa, that looks so beautiful, what a wonderful finish.

Stitchingranny said...

Congratulations, I think you have made a wonderful job and I shall know where to come to for some tips if I get stuck trying to put my Le Temps together. It does have instructions I think but its all in French and what little French I ever had must have been forgotton 40 years ago lol.

Anita said...

Wow, it is a materpiece. Well done and it is so pretty.

Claire said...

Congratulations on your happy dance - it looks so pretty Lisa.

Know what you are saying about sewing machines!!

Hugs
Claire

Sally said...

Wow, it looks fantastic Lisa. So pleased you perservered with it as it was well worth it:)

Elizabeth MacGregor-Kirkcaldy said...

Oh, it's just beautiful, Lisa! Your determination and perseverance paid off as the finishing is lovely! :-) Congrats on such a wonderful finish!

Susimac said...

Congratulations Lisa on such a lovely finish, I wish I had joinde the mystery now I've seen yours - really lovely.

Unknown said...

Oh very nice Lisa.

tintocktap said...

Well done on finishing your huswif - it's beautiful! I'm still neglecting mine.